Decision Made!

"Whatever it is you really want for your life, remember, you have the power to make a decision to go for it. Whether you want to go back to school, change your financial situation, improve your relationships, or live a healthier lifestyle, it all starts with a decision."  Valorie Burton, Author and Life Coach.

This above statement hit home with me in a big way when I saw it!  And since I am marking a full year since I made a decision to improve my life, I thought this was the perfect time to tell my story.  So, here we go.

Exactly one year ago, I made a decision.  It was a minor decision at the time, made without much thought.  If I had only known how this decision would grow!  And grow it did, into a major life change!  I decided to start becoming more active.  Yoga was a good place to start, I thought.  So I started taking yoga twice a week, and absolutely loved it!  It was good for mind, body and soul!  And then about once a week or so, I got on my dreaded elliptical trainer, and after 8 grueling minutes, I would crawl off, totally exhausted.  Now this does not make me sound very active, does it?  However, this was by far more activity than I had been doing on a regular basis, so it was good for a start.  Right?  Well, as the winter went on, I could do a little more than 8 minutes, and when daylight and weather allowed, I would walk outside on weekends.  When the time changed in the Spring, a neighbor and I would walk a mile twice a week.  It was about this time that I made a larger decision...it was time to get more active and be healthy.  You see, I had just turned 60.  It was now or never.  It was never going to be a better time, and it was not going to get any easier as I got older.  

Decision made, I started eating healthier, using My Fitness Pal app to track my nutrients, and also my exercise.  I started to lose weight, just a pound or two a week, sometimes just a half pound, but steady going.  My neighbor and I were now up to 2 miles walking, 3 times a week.  It was becoming a lot easier to do that 8 minutes on the elliptical, and by now I could easily do 20 minutes.  Now it's Summer, I am down about 20 pounds, have discovered kayaking (much to everyone's surprise as I've never been a truly adventurous outdoor type!), and I'm now walking 3 miles multiple times a week.  And it's about now that I starting getting that old urge to run again.  I was a runner in my 20s and 30s.  A knee injury, followed by surgery, put an end to running at that time.  But, once a runner, that feeling is always there.  That "Runner's High"?  It's a real thing.  So I started doing short bursts of running while I was on my regular walks.  Then I started doing longer bursts.  And now the competitive Linda comes out.  Who am I competing with?  Why myself, of course!  I'd look at my running app, see that last weekend I ran X minutes/mile, and did 2.8 miles, so that meant this weekend I need to do Y minutes/mile, and do 2.9 miles.  And you know what?  I crushed my time and distance over and over.  Now don't get me wrong!  I am, by NO means, a fast runner!  I even walk some of the distance.  BUT, I was improving!  And man, was I happy!  I was running again!  And the best part?  Every weekend, I would text my son Jeremy (a runner) my new stats, and every weekend, he would encourage and tell me how great I was doing!  THAT meant the world!  

And then, the next decision....I wanted to run a 5K!  Yes!  I could do this!!  So I signed up for one.  It's this Saturday!  Yikes!

Fast forward to today.  I am down 35 pounds and two sizes.  I have boundless energy.  I exercise every single day, having added going to the gym to my routine.  And I do this because I love it.  I am doing this for me, for my health, for my future.  I am doing this for my grandchildren.  I want them to see that a person can do ANYTHING if they truly want to...and at any age!  

I have found one really interesting "side effect" of my new lifestyle....HAPPINESS!  I am so much happier with life than I was a year ago.  Now don't get me wrong.  Life still has it's challenges, it's problems.  Some things just don't change.  But overall, maybe the way I am looking at things now, or maybe because I have the energy to deal with them, my problems do seem to be more manageable!  Attitude is everything, and when you are a happier person, your attitude is better toward life in general.  I am getting so many comments about the new me, and the best ones?  The ones where someone tells me I look healthy and happy!  I made a good decision a year ago!

So when Saturday rolls around, and I run my first ever 5k at the age of 60, I will be doing it with my son Jeremy and his girlfriend Angie (also a runner...and a good one!).  I know they will be there at the finish line when I finally cross it.  Hubby will be waiting for me there, too.  My cheering section!  And cross it I will!  And I don't care if I'm the last one across that line.  I WILL cross it.  I am so very happy that I had the power to make that decision a year ago.  And if I can do it, anyone can do it!  The changes in my life are so incredible I can't sufficiently put them into words (although I have just used a lot of words to try!)!

Final words....give yourself the power to make a decision to change your life!  Invest in yourself!  Invest in your future!  You WON'T be sorry!  You are worth it!  And I think it's only appropriate to end with another statement from Valorie Burton!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

27 Days as a Minimalist