Seeking Spirituality

I've talked a lot in the past year about change....me changing.  I've changed my eating habits, fitness routines, etc.  I've felt pretty good about myself in the last six to eight months.  But something was missing.  Something....

I have always be a church goer.  I was raised in church.  I raised my kids in church.  I have always been a believer.  But while working a part time job on weekends for many years, I had no Sundays free to attend church.  This allowed me to break the habit of going regularly.  And once that habit is broken, it just becomes a new routine not to go to church every Sunday.  Now please don't think I am using this as an excuse.  It's not an excuse.  It's what happened to me. 

Realizing that something was missing in my life, I started contemplating returning to church.  But as much as I love the church I was raised in, I felt that I needed to explore other options.  I needed something....

About the time I was thinking all of this, I received an invitation to attend my neighbor's daughter's dedication at their church.  This little girl that was being dedicated is like another granddaughter to me and Troy.  We love her so very much, so of course we said we would be there.  We attended service with them that Sunday, and enjoyed the service very much.  It was different in so many ways to the church I grew up in, but so similar in belief and doctrine.  Troy and I felt so welcomed that day, that we went back the next week...and the next week...and the next.  And we are still going.  I feel so uplifted when I leave there on Sundays.  The #startover series that started with the first Sunday in January is exactly what I needed to hear...at exactly the right time.  To just know that we can start from wherever we are with whatever we have is so empowering!  To know that there is a plan for us, and if we can just "be still" and "obey", we can learn what that plan is.  And to know that the plan for us is perfect is just what I needed to realize. 

THIS....This is that something I have been missing!  Yes!  It is amazing when all the pieces of the puzzle fall in place.  Especially when you are used to those pieces being in place.  It all feels right again.  While I never lost my faith or my belief, I wasn't being inspired every week.  I wasn't hearing the word of God regularly.  I wasn't worshiping with wonderful, uplifting music regularly.  I had been Seeking Spirituality!

Now, do you think that the invitation to attend a child's dedication service was a coincidence?  I don't.  Remember, there's a plan. 

And in my "Jesus Calling" Daily Devotion book that my wonderful friend Sally gave me, today's devotion ends with:  "I know the plans I have for you, and they are good.".  Again, not a coincidence. 

That something?  I found it again.  And it is good.  Now to do my best to be still, and obey....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

27 Days as a Minimalist