Gratefully Accepting Lessons Learned in 2020

As we all know, this year has been like no other in recent history.  I am very guilty of saying it's been a horrible, horrible year.  However, when I realize a few things that have changed in my life, I'm not sure it's been that horrible.  I've learned some valuable lessons this year.

First, let me tell you WHY I say this year has been horrible.... 

March 9th, 2020, life as we know it in our family changed forever.  My husband Troy suffered a heart attack, coming very close to not making it.  I was told 30 minutes was about the time he had left when we arrived at the ER.  A stent was placed and he was good to go.  (Gratitude #1)  But this totally changed our world.  Troy had smoked for 50 years, and he led a pretty sedentary life.  I mean, he works and he works hard, but he really didn't do any kind of exercise to get the heart rate up.  He is now up to 2.5 miles on his walks. I joke that next year he will be running a 5K with me!  He also stopped smoking.  So proud of him!

When Covid hit, I was forced to stay home and deal with unemployment.  Ugh is all I can say.  I found plenty to do to stay busy, cleaning the entire house top to bottom, and filling the freezer with home cooked meals. I read books on YouTube for kids, setting up a channel just for that purpose.  I stayed pretty busy.  But the frustration of unemployment felt unsurmountable some days. My back unemployment finally came through, along with the extra Federal amount, and I am forever grateful for that! (Gratitude #2)

During Covid, my Mom suffered another bowel blockage, something that has been an ongoing problem for years now.  It was becoming very frequent though, and this time around, when no one should be in a hospital, the Dr. decided she needed surgery right now.  So my 91 year old Mother, alone in the hospital, underwent surgery.  Thanks to my cousin, we were all taken back one at a time to see her before surgery.  That was the only time we were allowed to be there, but it was tremendously awesome to have that opportunity!  She made it through surgery like the strong woman that she is (and passed that strong trait on to me and my sister), and has had no other problems with that pesky problem. (Gratitude #3)

In July, our family was dealt a huge blow when my Son Jeremy was diagnosed with testicular cancer.  No, I didn't post this on Facebook.  Jeremy is a very private person, and did not feel it needed to be posted on social media.  However, it plays an integral part in my gratitude blog post, so I am writing about it here.  It happened and it changed us.  He had a full body scan, it was determined to be stage 1, and he had surgery immediately.  All tests post surgery showed all traces of cancer had been removed, and he did not have to have radiation or chemo.  He just had his first of many quarterly full body scans, and it was totally clear.  No cancer.  (Gratitude #4)

My Granddaughter Taylor had double knee surgery late Summer, and being the very strong young lady that she is, worked extremely hard in PT, and is now able to walk without her braces, and without pain. We are so very grateful for this.  She has dealt with pain for all of her young years, and she is now doing well!  (Gratitude #5)

My niece had very serious surgery during this awful pandemic also, and thankfully is finally out of pain and recuperating nicely.  It was a very scary surgery, as one wrong move could have been devastating to her.  (Gratitude #6)

Now, to bring us to current day, I have something to say about this horrible virus that has invaded our country.  No matter what your views on Covid 19, please allow me to tell you about my run in with it....

Last week I was exposed.  Two coworkers tested positive.  I had the required test on Tuesday, and from that moment until my second negative test came through yesterday, I changed everything about my life.  Why?  I wasn't worried for me.  I am strong, healthy, and very low risk.  My husband had that heart attack in March, remember?  HE is very high risk.  So I slept on the pull out sofa bed, sat across the table from him when we ate instead of beside him, and did not kiss or hug him.  I almost lost him once this year.  I wasn't going to give him this virus and possible lose him for good.  I didn't see my parents.  I didn't see Jeremy or Angie.  I didn't leave my house last weekend except to go for a couple of runs outside.  We weren't seeing patients at work due to waiting on everyone's test results, so I did go into the office.  The insurmountable amount of patients to call and cancel could not wait.  The offices needed to be deep cleaned.  So those of us still healthy split up between the two offices to work so there was little "closeness".  

Now for my "Preaching":   No matter what you may think of this virus, please, please take it seriously for those at risk!  If you aren't worried about it, that's fine.  Just remember there are people who need you to take it seriously enough to stay home if you are sick...to stay away from people who may have an at risk person living with them.  This is not political at all.  This is a virus.  This virus doesn't care who the President is or will be.  It really doesn't care what your feelings are.  It may be "nothing" to you, but it could be "something" to someone you know.  I feel about it the same way I feel about the flu or any other illness that could inflict my husband or 91 year old parents, or 1 year old Great-Granddaughter...or any member of my family who might have an underlying health issue.  I'm not singling out Covid 19.  Not at all.  I'm just saying be safe when you are not feeling well.  Think of others.  

So there you have my take on this year.  Has it been a trying year?  Absolutely!  Do I have a lot to be grateful for?  More than I can list here, yes! 

Bottom line....I think I appreciate my family a lot more now than I did.  I took a lot for granted.  I am so grateful for these lessons learned.  I never realized how difficult it would be to not kiss my husband goodbye in the morning when we wish each other a good day.  I hate not being able to hug my parents.  I can't remember the last time I did that.  That hurts.  I've learned to appreciate the little things in life.  I pray a little longer, I love a little deeper, and I try to find something in each day to enjoy. I've learned to sit on the end of my porch when the sun hits it in the late afternoon and read or just reflect, something I rarely did before this pandemic hit.  I now take the time to do that when I can. I miss my family.  I don't see them like I used to.  I know we are all in that situation, and maybe we should all take a moment and think about how much you miss them, then pick up the phone and call them.  Yes!  Call them.  You know...on the phone.  Not a text.  Let them HEAR your voice. I've started taking lots of videos so I can show my parents their great grandkids and great-great granddaughter.  So they can hear their laughter.  Be old fashioned and actually CALL someone!  Face time, Zoom, etc is great to connect.  Do it!  Don't let another month pass by.  Do it now! Appreciate what you have instead of what you don't have.  When was the last time you thanked God for what you woke up with instead of praying for what you went to bed without?  Read that again.

Ok, I'm done preaching.  Besides, my Son is the Preacher, not me.  He's much better at it than me!  

Just be kind people.  Always be kind.  Think of others.  Be grateful, not hateful.  I know I have so very much to be grateful for.  It has definitely been a life changing year, but it could have been life changing in a different way that would not have left me feeling grateful.  So, there's that.  I'm gratefully accepting lessons learned in 2020.  How about you?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

2023 Gratefulness