The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways

Five years ago today was a very dark day in our family's history....or at the time we considered it so.

Five years ago today, Ryan's leg/ankle was crushed by 2000 lbs of stone, and his life changed instantly.  It took multiple surgeries just to get to the point where he could move around.  That Summer was like no other. He was in a wheelchair, not able to do anything.  A trip to the grocery store wasn't even possible for a while.  I remember calling the local pizza place where he had worked part time to earn extra cash for his family, and ordering food to be delivered to him just so he would have something hot and fresh to eat.  I had instructed them to take the food inside because he couldn't answer the door. It was torture for this Mom to be 3 hours away, and to make matters worse, I was diagnosed with Mono and not allowed to travel.  But as soon as I could, I made weekend trips to help out, clean, cook, grocery shop, etc. I did what any Mom would do, and Ryan and I grew very close during this time.

With much determination on Ryan's part, and tons and tons of therapy, he learned to walk with crutches, and later, with only a cane.  He was off work a full year, and had a lot of time to think and pray.  And pray he did!  What could have made him very bitter, made him very strong. He decided this was all part of his life plan.  He looked at it as hitting the lowest point, and rising from there.  His faith grew, and so did his life purpose.  God had a plan, and Ryan saw it.

He started a ministry called Help the Home Bound. The premise of this ministry was to do for others what had been done for him.  Need groceries?  No problem.  We will go get them for you.  Need work done in the yard?  We have you covered. Need a ride to a Dr appointment?  We're there.  His children helped him form this ministry, and were instrumental in his recovery.  They took care of him, helped him, and gave him so much love!  And what a learning experience!

Today, Ryan is the Pastor of a small church in rural Virginia. He is strong in so many ways that I am not.  His faith is unwavering.  I learn from him every day.  My faith is my weak point.  I have never denied that.  It just is.  I wish I had Ryan's faith!  He is also returning to the fire company.  This is huge!  He was not able to perform the duties necessary until now, and I am so proud of him!  Being a volunteer firefighter has always been important to Ryan. From the day I pinned him at his fire academy graduation, he was a faithful volunteer until his accident.  Now, once again, he can serve his community in this way!

Ryan talks often about how this accident changed his life for the better.  Most people don't think a terrible accident can actually be a good thing.  But when given lemons, Ryan made lemonade.  That's my Son.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  Yes, He certainly does!  And for that, I give thanks daily!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

2023 Gratefulness