The Old Washtub...Memories of Independence Days Past

For as long as I can remember, the 4th of July has been a day to celebrate our Freedom with family. The patriotic pride in our family is strong. As the daughter of a Marine, and the Mom of an Army Vet, I always start this special holiday with patriotic music. I listen to the Army band, the Marine band, and of course Lee Greenwood. I love the pride I feel for my country on this day, and pretty much every day for that matter, but this music just really sets the tone for the day!  

I have wonderful memories of Independence Days of my youth.
Let me take you to the mid 60s...yes, I'm that old. We would always go to my grandparents' house on the 4th of July.  The whole family would gather there. It was a special day as a kid. We got all the soda and ice cream we wanted. 
We always had ice cream cones as our dessert, and on a hot July day, what could be better?  Remember, we didn't even have fast food yet. We ate meals prepared by our Moms every single meal. Soda was a luxury. Ice cream was for special occasions. 
But the thing I will always remember above all other memories is an old metal wash tub.  Here's my memory....

As long as I remember, on the 4th, at my grandparents' house, there was always a wash tub filled with soda. Everyone brought what their family liked, the wash tub was filled with ice, and the soda was nestled in that ice to keep it cold. The tub was then covered with a blanket. As a kid, not really sure what freedoms we were celebrating, that tub symbolized the freedom to drink all the soda our tummies could hold! We were in heaven!
When my grandparents were no longer able to host this gathering, it was moved to my house, and the wash tub came with that move. When my niece moved to the area very close to the annual 4th of July parade route, she became the host. Today, that old wash tub...yes, the very same one...was proudly on display, holding our drinks. It holds such good memories, I can't help but smile when I see it.  Soda is no longer a luxury, no longer a rationed item, but we hold onto our traditions.  It's what memories are made of. 

Another memory of this day is the annual Bel Air parade. Every year we would load up, drive to the parade route, and watch the miles of fire trucks, bands, horses, and baton twirlers. One year it rained, and the parade was canceled, much to the dismay of the kids, so us crazy cousins made our own parade. We marched across the porch banging pots and pans with spoons.  The "Pots and Pans Band Parade" was born. As adults, we still occasionally torture our children and grandchildren by recreating that parade. In fact it popped up in my Facebook memories today. We watched that video at my niece's today, and laughed and laughed!

I love looking back and remembering why this day holds such good memories for me.  I hope you have made some memories today with your family, and/or I hope you have some memories to think back on and smile like I did when I saw that old wash tub!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

2023 Gratefulness