27 Days as a Minimalist

My New Year's Intention was to become a minimalist. I felt it was time to let go of a lot of stuff, and just simplify my life.
When people hear "minimalism", most will conjure up an image of bare walls, floors, and furniture. But minimalism is so different than what I also imagined. My minimalism may look very different from yours. It's whatever you decide it will be.  For me, it was going room to room, decluttering, deciding what to keep, what to throw out, and what to donate. It was organizing closets, cabinets, and even inventorying the pantry, fridge and freezers. 
I did one room at a time. I have filled so many trash bags!  I have boxes and bags full of household items, clothes and shoes to donate. 

I'm now 27 days in.  Every room except the basement has been thoroughly decluttered and organized. Even my car has been organized...all those bags I need for Aldi are corralled!😂

The other part of minimalism is cutting your spending. I have a 72 hour sheet.  If I want something that's not a necessity, I write it on my list, and then I have to wait 72 hours before buying. So far, nothing on that list has been purchased. I have realized after 72 hours that I don't need it after all!  Amazing how that works, right? 

I have discovered this is definitely a mind set. Once that mindset is there, you notice the changes. I found myself taking things off my mantle today because it felt too busy. I also took some things out of car, and normally would throw it in the den and shut the door, and deal with it later.  I couldn't bring myself to do that today. I took care of it immediately.

But the peacefulness of my house being organized and neat is wonderful! I now have things where they make my life easier, less stressful. I have much less to choose from in my closet, and it honestly makes it easier to pick something out and get dressed. Meal planning now revolves around what we have. If I buy potatoes for one meal, I will absolutely find another meal to use up the rest of said potatoes before they go bad. Same with greens, fresh veggies, etc. We waste almost no food. 

Now, with all of that being said, I researched this minimalism thing thoroughly before I started. I read voraciously about the topic. I  went into it knowing what it was about and knowing I wanted to feel the peacefulness everyone talked about. I now have that peaceful feeling when I walk around my house. I know everything I own, and exactly where it is. 

Today, I made laundry detergent for the first time ever. Why have I never done this before?  It was cheap, and Soooo easy!

I'm not sure where else this will take me, but I like the road I'm traveling now! If you want to consider this lifestyle, and have questions, please feel free to get in touch with me!  Remember though, I'm only 27 days into this! I'm a newbie, but I can point you to some good reading for your research! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

2023 Gratefulness