A Mimi's Promise

Three years and a few months ago, my granddaughter Emily was turning eight.   She was also learning about American Girl dolls.  She wanted one of these Oh So Expensive dolls so badly  that I decided, no matter the cost, that I would find a way to get her one.  I mean, what are Mimi's for, right??  I personally think a Mimi's primary job is to be there for her Punkins when they need her, or when there is something that is so desperately wanted that it melts my heart seeing their desire.  Emily was sleeping with the American Girl catalog!   I think that classified this as a deeply desired item! 

Let me say right here and now that I don't want to take any joy away from a parent, but parents are responsible for day to day needs. They also have other children to consider.  Soooo...here's where Mimis and Pops  come in!  

A date was arranged, reservations made in the bistro, cousins, great grandmother and great aunt loaded into my car, and we headed to Tyson's Corner,  VA.  Emily, siblings and her Mama headed there from the opposite direction, with Emily having no idea why!  What an incredible surprise she had in store for her!  The day was a huge hit, and I still think about the look on her face when she found out what the day was all about!  

Fast forward 3 years..... Taylor turned eight in December.  Guess what that means?   It is a definite right of passage to receive an American Girl doll when you turn eight.  I keep my promises!  We are headed to Tyson's Corner today!  We have reservations in the bistro, will buy Taylor her doll, and update Emily's doll, also named Emily, with a new outfit and a new pet. 

Is this a necessity?   Of course not.  But....that's what a Mimi is for!  I pray my Punkins tell their children some day about this crazy, goofy, Mimi that played with them, prayed with them, and spoiled them.  But I also hope to be around and show them myself.  I want to be Crazy Gigi to my Great Punkins! 

To sum this all up, spoiling my Punkins = Priceless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

27 Days as a Minimalist