I Choose Happiness

As I sit on my front porch watching and listening to the rain, I'm reminded that this is one of my favorite things to do.  Unfortunately, I don't get to do this very often.  Life is so busy that we don't allow ourselves small pleasures such as this.  But, my house is clean, my laundry is done, and it's not time to fix dinner yet, so here I sit, relaxing to the sounds of nature. 
The fresh rain smell permeates the air, and I can imagine our garden drinking this in, it's thirst being quenched by this beautiful summertime storm. 
The wind has kicked up a couple of notches, the sky has darkened and thunder is heard in the distance.  This no doubt will be a strong storm as the cool front comes through.
As I sit here relaxing, my mind drifts back to another storm and another front porch, many, many years ago...

I was a child, not sure how old, living at home with my Mom and Dad and siblings.  I have always been fascinated by thunderstorms, so this summer evening, my Dad and I were sitting on the front porch, watching the storm, and no doubt, my Dad was listening to my incessant chatter.  For those of you who haven't known me long, I've always been a talker.  Shocker, right? 
So as we watched the storm, my Mom yells for us to come inside.  I think her exact words were "Linda, you get in this house right now!  You're going to get struck by lightning!"  I'm sure I rolled my eyes and had a smart comeback, but we did make our way inside, and I sat back in one of the unoccupied chairs.  My Mom was pretty paranoid about storms, and always unplugged everything.  Well, the chair I was sitting in had the TV cord thrown over the back of it for easy reach when the storm was over.
I think you can probably all figure out what happened next.  I sat back, lightning hit, and Linda flew out of the chair and the TV lit up.  Yup!  I got struck by lightening!  I had a burn mark on my back for years, but otherwise I'm fine.  Ok, i know what you're thinking....well this certainly explains a lot!  Yes folks, that IS what happened to me.  I honestly used to be normal!  One thing it did not do was reduce my fascination with storms!  I love to watch and listen to storms!  It makes me happy. 

So now today's storm is over, and so is dinner, and I'm back on my porch, this time listening to some great music and enjoying the after storm calm.  The sun is back out, the garden has been watered sufficiently, and I've enjoyed some reminiscing.  So now I sit here wondering why we don't spend more time doing those little things that make us happy.  Watch a storm, enjoy a quiet evening with the hubby, and put thoughts on paper/computer/phone.  All three of these things make me happy.  Tonight, I shall choose happiness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

27 Days as a Minimalist