Motivation and Determination

I get asked a certain question a lot, and I don't actually know how to answer it. The question is this - what motivated you to start running at this stage of your life?  I usually say it's because I needed to lose weight and knew as I got older, it wouldn't get any easier.  
That really is one reason,  but I've come to realize that there is much more to it. Much, much more. It's the feeling of accomplishment, feeling good about yourself,  knowing you can do something that not everyone does. I really can't put it into words, but this is how I view running ~~~

I have a love/hate relationship with running.   Let's use last night for example...I love when I'm getting my mind ready to run the next morning.  I get my clothes out and ready.  I watch what I eat that evening to be sure I'm not sluggish, and I try to get to bed early. I love knowing I'll be putting in my miles for my half marathon training, burning calories, and challenging myself.
Then I wake up, and I hate the idea of running. I want to sit with my coffee and enjoy my day off. But using sheer determination, knowing I HAVE to stay on the training schedule, and HAVE to get 4 miles in today, I get myself dressed, eat my banana, stretch, and start my run. 
First mile...I hate this.  Everything hurts.
Second mile...ugh...not even halfway through. 
Third mile...ok, I got this.
Fourth mile...I love running!
So that's where the love part starts. 
I come home, ice my knee, get my protein shake, and mentally check off that box on the training schedule. I really love running!

Now, why am I doing a half marathon with a torn meniscus? Because I'm crazy. Not gonna lie. I have been determined to do this, and I will do it. Virtually, or in Key West.  But I will do it. Then I will have surgery.  And adding this for anyone thinking I am further injuring myself....I have my Orthopedic Dr 's blessing to do the half before I have surgery, as long as i can keep the pain at a tolerable level. 

I can't explain that determination or motivation.  I don't have some secret reason for this.  I just like feeling healthy and fit. I love reaching goals I have set for myself. I love the feeling I get when I finish something that is challenging. 

I do know that for me, the key to achieving these goals starts with planning.  I am meal prepping today for the week.  The further into training we get, the more miles we do each week.  So fueling my body correctly is so very important! 

So whatever it is YOU want to accomplish, give yourself permission to try it, to be determined, to just do it.
Dig deep....some days really really deep, and you will find that motivation and determination.  You WILL be able to achieve your goals.  If I can, anyone can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sycamore Tree

Quiet Christmas Thoughts

2023 Gratefulness